United Explorer card review: Good airline benefits and expanded access to the cheapest award flights for a reasonable annual fee
This article is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. It has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the issuers listed. Some of the offers you see on the page are from our partners like Citi and American Express, but our coverage is always independent. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
United℠ Explorer Card
At the checkout counter, this card adds purchase protection for 120 days and an extended manufacturer's warranty by up to a year where eligible.
The card also includes access to Visa's concierge service. If you've never tried it, it's pretty cool. They will research and/or book travel, gifts, and other online purchases for you at no additional cost for arranging the services.
United℠ Explorer Card
$95, waived first year
16.49% to 23.49% Variable
Good to Excellent
60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open (plus, an additional 10k bonus miles after you spend $6,000 in the first 6 months)
- 60k bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 10k bonus miles after you spend $6,000 in the first 6 months.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, on hotel stays, and on United purchases
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck™ fee credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip) when you use your card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and eligible delivery services including GrubHub, Caviar, Seamless and DoorDash
- Annual fee is waived the first year
- Earns bonus miles on several purchase categories, including restaurants
- Includes an application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Gets you a free checked bag on United when you pay with the card
- Not the most rewarding card for most non-United travel purchases
United Explorer card costs and fees
The United℠ Explorer Card has a $95 annual, but it's waived for the first 12 months so you won't start paying for it until you've had it for a year. There are no foreign transaction fees, so you can use the card anywhere in the world without racking up extra charges.
You can avoid most other fees on the United℠ Explorer Card by paying your bill in full each month and avoiding interest charges.
- APR on purchases and balance transfers: 16.49% to 23.49% Variable
- Cash advance APR: 24.99%
- Balance transfer fee: 5%, with a $5 minimum
- Cash advance fee: 5%, with a $10 minimum
- Late payment fee: Up to $39
- Returned payment fee: Up to $39
Source: Read Full Article